Details of TOEFL
TOEFL or Test of English as Foreign Language is well recognized one in the world. TOEFL is acceptable in case of university studies, for the purpose of immigration or workplaces. It helps understand the proficiency of an applicant in English and how well one can communicate in the language. The responsibility of the test is given to the Educational Testing Service or ETS as they set the questions, arrange the questions and they are responsible to send the score card to the respective examinee.
The test is accepted by more than 10, 000 universities in more than 150 countries like New Zealand, Australia, Canada and others. The language skill would test reading, writing, speaking and listening skills of the candidates. Here, an applicant needs to score a minimum of 80 out of the total 120 marks to prove average proficiency of the language.
- When applying for universities in Canada and US, TOEFL is a must option to appear for as based on this, the knowledge and skill of a student of understanding North-American English is judged.
- When applying in other countries, IELTS is the preferred option to opt for in UK and Australia, however, TOEFL is also accepted
- The applicant can appear for the test throughout the year and according to this, there are 50 test dates to appear for. If you are not satisfied with the result of the test, you can again appear for the test only after 12 days.
What is the exam pattern of the TOEFL exam?
- The exam pattern includes reading, speaking, listening and writing
- The total score is calculated on the basis of the skill of the student in four areas
- To calculate TOEFL scores, human raters and automated scoring methods can be used. The main idea is to calculate accurate results of the candidate’s ability.
- While the automated scoring method has the advantage of being unbiased, it does not measure the effectiveness of the language and content.
- Applicants will be given email for the scores after 10 days from the date of test
- The TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years and can be used for admission in different education institutes